On its blog — but not its web site — the ex-gay activist umbrella group Exodus International today released a statement which sidesteps the organization’s well-documented role in fomenting antigay genocide legislation in Uganda. The statement is signed by board members and numerous regional coordinators and “ministry” leaders.
- implicitly denies the existence of sexual orientation, referring only to behavior.
- falsely states that Exodus has not supported legislation depriving others of “life and dignity,” despite the organization’s prior support for Uganda’s March 2009 pro-genocide conference and years of official organizational support for legislation that separates LGBT parents from their children and that fosters discrimination and ostracism against LGBT workers, renters, and youths.
- conspicuously omits “liberty” and “the pursuit of happiness” from the “life and dignity” that it claims to uphold.
- fails to hold president Alan Chambers and board member Don Schmierer accountable for their negligent and reckless affirmation of the March 2009 conference and subsequent disregard for human life in Uganda
- is one year late — an official statement was sought by human-rights advocates and ex-gay watchdogs a full year ago, when such a statement could have prevented Uganda’s ensuing genocide campaign.
- is likely to be ignored by the organization’s partners in Uganda — and by Exodus Global Alliance –because it is a year late and written under extreme public pressure.
- sidesteps the only truly literal “conservative” interpretation of the Bible regarding homosexuality — an interpretation which requires LGBT people to be stoned to death by the self-righteous. There are NO Bible verses which support Exodus and NARTH’s discredited variations of reparative therapy, nor any verses calling for Exodus-style discrimination and deception, though some verses may be liberally and non-literally interpreted as an affirmation of same-sex orientation.
- fails to affirm any human rights whatsoever — it opposes antigay genocide solely because genocide prevents churches from evangelizing those who are slaughtered. To Exodus, human lives are just pawns in a chess game, or ticks on a scorecard.
- falsely and piously claims that signers have sole ownership of unspecified “transformation” — a deliberate insinuation that said signers have been “cured” of their sexual orientation.
- falsely characterizes Christianity as a right-wing ideological “identity” and not a spiritual profession or practice.
The entire statement and its current list of signers is copied below.
Exodus International believes that every human life, regardless of an individual’ sexual behavior, is of inestimable worth to God and that defending this principle is foundational in offering a Christian response to any issue. As such, Exodus International has not and will not support any legislation that deprives others of life and dignity including, but not limited to, Uganda’ Anti-Homosexuality Bill of 2009. We stand with all who are defending this basic, biblical tenet and remain committed to sharing the compassion, hope and life-giving truth and grace of Jesus Christ.
In November of 2009, several of us sent a letter to Ugandan President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni and First Lady Musenevi expressing our concerns regarding The Anti-Homosexuality Bill of 2009. The legislation would render some homosexual practices crimes punishable by life imprisonment and possible death. We believe that sexual crimes against children, whether committed by someone of the same or opposite sex, are the most serious of offenses and should be punished; we consider same-sex behavior in consensual adult relationships another matter.
Since the Bible clearly states that homosexual behavior was not part of God’ creative intent for human sexual expression, the Christian church must remain a safe, compassionate and confidential place. If homosexual behavior and knowledge of such behavior is criminalized and prosecuted, as proposed in this bill, church and ministry leaders will be unable to assist hurting men, women and youth who might otherwise seek help in addressing this personal issue. The Christian church must be permitted to extend the love and compassion of Christ to all, regardless of an individual’ adherence to scripture. We believe that such legislation would make this mission a difficult, if not impossible, task to carry out.
Many of us, and those we know and work with, have personally struggled with same-sex attractions and some have lived as gay-identified individuals, but we have since found a new identity in Jesus Christ. We now live our lives to reflect the transformation that is available to those who submit their mind, will and emotions to the Lordship of Christ. We sincerely believe that such transformation cannot be achieved in an environment of government coercion where the vital support, care and compassion of the Christian community is discouraged and prosecuted. In addition, it wasn’t through coercion that Christ set us free, but through the gracious invitation He extended to us for relationship and the freedom He gave us to choose our own path.
|Alan Chambers||President||Exodus International|
|Rev. Bob Ragan||Director||Regeneration of Northern Virginia||Chairman of the Board, Exodus International||Exodus Membership Council|
|Mike Goeke||Counseling Pastor||Stonegate Fellowship||Vice Chairman of the Board, Exodus International|
|Jayson Graves, M.MFT||Christian counselor & Neurotherapist|
|Healing for the Soul||Secretary of the Board, Exodus International|
|Clark and Martha Whitten||Pastor||Grace Church||Treasurer of the Board, Exodus International|
|Jeff Winter||Board Member, Exodus International||Founder, One by One|
|Don and Diana Schmierer||Board Members, Exodus International|
|Bob Stith||National Strategist for Gender Issues||Southern Baptist Convention||Chairman of the Board, Living Hope Ministries||Board Member, Exodus International|
|Melissa A. Ingraham, MA, NCC||Mental Health Counselor||Christian Counseling Center|
|McKrae Game||Executive Director||Truth Ministry|
|Dave and Diane Rasmussen||Co-Directors||Simon Ministries|
|Tony Moore||Mid-Atlantic Regional Coordinator||Exodus International|
|Tommy Corman||Executive Director||Love In Action International|
|Jim Katsoudas||Executive Director||Clean Heart Ministries|
|Kenny Warkentin||Resource Outreach Coordinator||Living Waters Central Region|
|Gregory C. Wallace||Executive Director||Hope & New Life Ministries|
|Mark Culligan||Founder||New Hearts Outreach|
|Tammi Wilds||Interim Director||New Hearts Outreach|
|Ryan Ortega||Client Relations & Technical Support||New Hearts Outreach|
|Bob Jones||Executive Director||Fresh Word Ministries|
|Ron Smith||Director||New Hope Ministries|
|Russell Willingham||Executive Director||New Creation Ministries|
|Mike Levenhagen||Director||Reclamation Resource Center|
|Richard Holloman||Executive Director||The Sight Ministry|
|Billie Jimenez||Florida Regional Coordinator||Exodus International|
|Judy Williams||Co-director||In His Time Ministry|
|Sonia Balcer||Director||Safe Passage|
|Warren Lamb, Th.M.||Pastor, Truth In Love Fellowship||Director, Vancouver Bible Institute|
|Stephen Black||Director||First Stone Ministries||Exodus Membership Council|
|Jim Venice||Executive Director||Pure Heart Ministries|
|Jerry Armelli||Director||Prodigal Ministries|
|Michael R. Newman||Executive Director||Christian Coalition for Reconciliation|
|Allen Hildreth||Director||Walking in Freedom Ministries|
|Lewis E. Palmer & Carol A. Palmer||Director and Co-Director||Love and Grace Ministry|
|Jim Duran||Lead Pastor||The River Community|
|Joe Dallas||Genesis Biblical Counseling||Tustin, CA|
|Dean Greer||National Coordinator, Living Waters USA||Desert Stream Ministries|
|Patrick Kennedy||Pure Heart Ministries|
|Jason Thompson||Executive Director||Portland Fellowship|
|Katherine M. Allen||Founder/Executive Director||Sought Out, Inc.|
|Nancy K. Stanfield Brown||Exodus Regional Co-ordinator -Texas Region||Life+Guard Ministries Office Manager|
|Randy Thomas||Executive Vice President||Exodus International|
|Paula Mcnabb||Director of Business and Public Affairs||Exodus International|
|David Fountain||Senior Director of Communications and Events||Exodus International|
|Leslie Chambers||Director of Ministry Events||Exodus International|
|Chris Stump||Director of Exodus Books||Exodus International|
|Jeff Buchanan||Director of Church Association||Exodus International|
|Angela Buchanan||Director of Communications||Exodus International|
|Kristin Tremba||Director of One By One||Exodus International|
|Karen Booth||Director of Transforming Congregations||Exodus International|
|Dr. Marc Dillworth||Director of the Professional Counselor Network||Exodus International|
|Terri Brown||Director of Exodus Membership||Exodus International|
|Karen Eaglin||Director of Equipping Events||Exodus International|
|Paul Webster||Director of Ministry Advancement||Exodus International|
|Yvette Schneider||Director of Women’ Ministry||Exodus International|
|Amber Russelburg||Exodus International|
|Melissa Condrey||Exodus International|