One of the best bands I’ve caught wind of this year is Yeasayer. I am still kicking myself for not going to see them when they came through town, and will not make that mistake again. Their new record, Odd Blood, is genius from start to finish, but the one song that I keep going back to, and that I have been particularly obsessed with this week, is “Madder Red.” Indeed, according to iTunes, it is my Most Played Song! Lyrics, music, everything…it’s perfect. So we’ll start there, hit shuffle on the fancy iTunes jukebox, and then go do weekend things.
1. The National – “Bloodbuzz Ohio”
2. Rufus Wainwright – “Waiting For A Dream”
3. Dar Williams – “Better Things” [The Kinks cover]
4. Suckers – “Easy Chairs”
5. Jon Brion – “Later Monday” [from the I Heart Huckabees soundtrack]
6. St. Germain – “Land Of…”
7. Rasputina – “Snow-Hen of Austerlitz”
8. Saint-Saëns: Piano Concerto #3 In E Flat, Op. 29 – Third Movement: Allegro Non Troppo, performed by Pascal Rogé with the London Philharmonic Orchestra, cond. by Charles Dutoit
9. Suzanne Vega – “Widow’s Walk”
10. Peter Gabriel – “I Think It’s Going To Rain Today” [Randy Newman cover]
Speaking of favorite, favorite songs from the bands I have fallen in love with in the past year, “Bloodbuzz Ohio” is a song on an equal tier with the above song from Yeasayer. Something about that voice…Matt Berninger could sing me the phone book if that’s what he wanted to do. Turn it UP.
That’s five, but here’s the St. Germain because it’s sexy: