Truth Wins Out (TWO) is in the business of demolishing the myths and misconceptions that allow anti-gay bigotry to flourish. We rapidly debunk outrageous lies that harm the GLBT community. Whether it is on an O’Reilly Factor appearance or on the ground at an anti-gay conference, Truth Wins Out is there to passionately fight for your equality.
Of course, the biggest lie of all comes from the “ex-gay” industry, which purports to pray away the gay. Truth Wins Out monitors these groups, conducts original research and exposes the dangerous propaganda of ex-gay organizations.
Please consider a generous, year-end tax-deductible contribution today to help us continue our vital work.
Or send a check to:
Truth Wins Out
33 West 19th Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10011
A few of our accomplishments in 2009:
* TWO fought back against “ex-gay” organizations in Charlotte, Asheville, Birmingham, West Palm Beach, Grand Rapids, and Boston. In each of these cities, we worked with local organizations to organize protests and maximize news coverage. In Charlotte and Birmingham, TWO placed critical op-eds to counter Focus on the Family’s misinformation campaign.
* When Focus on the Family’s founder, James Dobson, was selected to be in the Radio Hall of Fame, TWO swung into action and organized the “Dump Dobson” campaign to let the public know what he really stood for. This included a new website, a full-page ad in the Chicago Tribune, an op-ed in the Chicago Sun Times and a protest in front of the awards ceremony that drew more than 500 people.
* When the American Psychological Association issued a new report condemning ex-gay therapy, the media turned to Truth Wins Out. We were quoted in the Wall Street Journal and the lead Associated Press story, which ran in publications across the globe.
* In 2009, our YouTube videos featuring the stories of “ex-gay” survivors surpassed 350,000 views. In one widely viewed video, TWO interviewed survivor Patrick McAlvey, who discussed how his Exodus counselor abused his trust. In a new exclusive TWO video, actor Glenn Shadix (pictured), who appeared in movies such as Beetlejuice and The Nightmare Before Christmas, talks about undergoing shock therapy in an unsuccessful attempt to go from gay to straight.
* In conjunction with Lambda Legal, TWO produced “Ex-Gay & the Law”, which is being distributed to people who have been harmed by ex-gay therapy to inform them of their rights. We have disseminated these booklets to college and university campuses and anywhere the ex-gay industry spreads its misinformation.
* TWO is investigating ex-gay youth boot camps and will continue our efforts to shut these places down in 2010
* Instinct Magazine honored TWO founder Wayne Besen in its “Leading Men 2009″ issue
* TWO held the Obama administration accountable and applied pressure to pass pro-gay legislation
Please consider a tax-deductible holiday gift today so we can build a strong foundation for 2010 and continue our crucial work. Thank you and have a wonderful New Year.
33West 19th Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10011