But, sadly, evil doesn’t sleep on holidays — and we have to take a moment away from the food and festivities to act.
Uganda’s parliament is trying to ramrod through a bill that would terrorize that nation’s gay community and the people who love them. The Speaker of Parliament has promised to pass the “Anti-Homosexuality Bill” as a Christmas gift to Uganda.
This bill’s provisions are backwards and brutal and are a declaration of full blown war against homosexuals. If passed, the bill would mean:
- Any person alleged to be gay would be at risk of life imprisonment or in some circumstances the death penalty
- Any parent who does not turn in their lesbian daughter or gay son to the authorities would face fines of $2,650 or three years in prison
- Any teacher who does not report a lesbian or gay pupil to the authorities within 24 hours would face the same penalties
- And any landlord or landlady who happens to give housing to a suspected homosexual would risk 7 years of imprisonment
These are would-be murderers disguised as moralists, pushing barbarism in the name of biblical values. They must be stopped today!
If the bill passes, Truth Wins Out urges:
- Cutting off all military aid to Uganda
- The downgrading of diplomatic ties to Uganda
- Forbidding any legislator who votes for the bill from entering the United States
- Keeping records of human rights violations so perpetrators can eventually be prosecuted
- Worldwide protests and actions
- Holding American politicians and evangelical missionaries who pushed for this bill fully accountable
- Legal immunity for gay Ugandans who engage in self-defense to protect themselves, their property, and their loved ones. No LGBT Ugandan should be expected to act like a sheep, willingly surrender freedom, and passively march into Uganda’s hate-inspired dungeons and death chambers.
Fortunately, there is a limited window to act before this grotesque bastardization of human rights becomes law. Here is how you can help:
- Put down the stuffing to stuff the inbox of Uganda’s dictator Yoweri Museveni. Sign a petition by the organization AllOut here.
- Write your own foreign ministry demanding they make immediate representations to the Ugandan government about the bill. Alternatively write or call your national embassy in Kampala. There are lists of foreign embassies in Uganda HERE and HERE
- If you want to contact Ugandan embassies in other capitals, there are partial lists and contact information HERE, HERE, and HERE
You know what I’m thankful for today? That I have a group of committed people who share the values of freedom, liberty, and human rights for all — who will take a moment, even on Thanksgiving, to help the lives of people half a world away. Please, sign the petition and send it to everyone you know. If you have more time, please contact the embassies.
This is a full-blown emergency. The only thing standing between the Uganda’s LGBT citizens and tyranny is YOU.